Ian Mutibwa is a Partner at the Firm. His experience is in International Tax and domestic tax planning and restructuring, Islamic finance and Project Finance advisory.
Ian holds an LLB (with honours) from Makerere University Kampala and a Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. He is pursuing an Advanced Diploma in International Taxation (“ADIT”), and was awarded level One (1) certificate for Principles of International Taxation and taxation of Upstream Oil and gas Level Two (2).
Ian is among the two Ugandans who were chosen as 2016 Secondees for International Lawyers for Africa (ILFA).and was seconded to Latham & Watkins LLP in London in the International Tax and Project Finance departments.
He has previously worked as a Senior Tax and Legal Consultant at KPMG Uganda, a member firm of the KPMG network of independent member firms affiliated to KPMG International, a Swiss Entity.
He also worked with Shonubi-Musoke & Co. Advocates, top tier law firm in Uganda and did an internship with the Uganda Law Reform Commission, a Law review, reforming and policy formation body.
Ian also holds Directorships and is a Company Secretary to many companies in Uganda.
He is published on the Right to Education in Uganda and an ardent scribe in Uganda’s dailies on matters regarding policy, tax and legal issues in Uganda and internationally.
- ILFA Alumni
- Member of the Professional Development Committee of the Uganda Law Society.
- Advised Zoeve Seed Uganda Limited on a cross jurisdictional trade transaction with the Government of Gambia.
- Advisory on USD 100m Agricultural Project for Kehong Industrial Development Uganda Limited, a Chinese company setting up branch in Uganda for agro processing and agribusiness.
- Legal Advisory on the USD 2m re-financing of Chims Africa Uganda Limited with Ascent Capital and Burbidge Capital.
- Advisory on the recapitalization of FOL Logistics Uganda Limited with Seychelles and Mauritius law firms.
- Customs tax advisory to the Camara Education Foundation and Aga Khan Foundation.
- International Tax advisory for Utracon Overseas Pte. Limited on the set up and Nile bridge project in Uganda.
- Advisory the Bank of Uganda on the taxation of Islamic Finance structures and products.
- Advised various local and international companies on Foreign Accounts Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) compliance.