Our specialist lawyers provide a full suite of services in this rapidly changing area, assisting clients in navigating the constantly evolving laws and industry regulations that govern advertising and marketing in Uganda and across the globe.
This developing world can give rise to complex commercial and legal issues, not least in relation to rights protection and regulatory compliance. From the initial idea through to the development of a campaign to its launch across countries and continents, we provide expert commercial advice on all aspects of traditional and digital advertising.
In particular, we can help in the following key areas:
- Drafting and negotiating agreements with advertising agencies and media buyers.
- Advising on the securing of image rights and endorsement and all aspects of sponsorship arrangements, including those for major sporting events.
- Advising on all legal issues affecting advertising campaigns, advising on strategy and providing fast copy clearance to ensure advertisements and packaging comply with the relevant advertising codes, regulations and case-law.
- Advising on intellectual property rights relevant to advertising, including trade mark infringement, passing off and endorsement issues. We can help to ensure that advertising content is risk free or, equally, advise where clients are concerned that their rights are infringed by a competitor's advertising.
- Seemingly straightforward promotions and competitions can readily fall foul of a wide range of acts, regulations, codes and industry guidelines covering data protection and gambling. We offer advice and training to help clients to address these risks and to ensure effective compliance.
- Assisting clients in responding and defending legal proceedings brought in relation to advertising campaigns, such as those relating to comparative advertising and product claims. We also advise on making complaints to the relevant national advertising authorities about competitor advertising.